Greg and Dawn Malcolm and Dan and Donna Roper are a highly effective team who serve the Lafayette church by providing vision, implementation, and administration for our Outreach Ministry.
Here are several examples of Outreach Ministry events.
- There is an open meeting of Alcoholics Anonymous in the prayer room at the Lafayette Church of Christ building each Sunday afternoon at 1:00 p.m. Sally Blackburn has been the point person for the Alcoholics Anonymous group for several years.
- AWARE Tutoring (All Who Are Receiving Education) offers tutoring on Mondays at 6:30 p.m. at the Lafayette Church building to any students who would like help with their studies.
- Lafayette members partner with the West Central Church of Christ in St. Louis to offer tutoring at the West Central campus on Tuesday evenings during the school year.
- For fifteen years Lafayette has partnered with Room at the Inn to provide food and housing for the homeless. Carla Haley leads this ministry at Lafayette. She is blessed to have numerous people devoted to this ministry assist her in providing meals, housing, and entertainment for homeless women and children one night per month (see handout below). 2013 Room at the Inn Team Calendar
- The “Bread of Life” is baked each week by Lafayette members under the direction of Jeanna Allstun. The loaves are distributed to guests who visit our worship gatherings.
- Each week Lafayette members prepare 15 bag lunches to be distributed to the children being tutored at West Central (see sample letter below).
- Each year Lafayette members collect school supplies to be shared with students who can not afford to buy them.
- Twice per month Lafayette members prepare food boxes for distribution in partnership with the West Central Church of Christ (see sample letter below).
- Each year Lafayette partners with the Logan Street Church of Christ and other congregations to provide holiday food boxes and a Christmas Dinner to the people in Venice, Illinois (see sample shopping list below).
- Each year members from Lafayette partner with the West Central Church of Christ in St. Louis to provide a Christmas Day dinner for people in the neighborhood around the West Central Church of Christ building.
- Several members of the Lafayette Church of Christ (currently: Whitney deSambourg, Kevin Fields, Jan Johnson, and Les Keim) serve on the Board of Directors for Christian Family Services, a parachurch organization dedicated to providing foster care and counseling.
- Lafayette member Dawn Malcolm has begun an outreach ministry called Lighting the Path. Check out the upcoming event she has planned for her ministry.
- Lafayette is looking forward to participating in the National Urban Ministry Association Conference, February 28 – March 3, 2013.